Crookston, MN (NSUWolves.com) – Despite keeping the game close through the first three innings of play, Northern State was unable to avoid a pair of big innings that allowed Minnesota Crookston to break the game open and defeat the Wolves 18-3.
THE QUICK DETAILS
Final Score: NSU 3, UMC 18 (7 Inn.)
Records: NSU 10-21 (5-15 NSIC), UMC 27-15 (17-7 NSIC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A pair of RBI singles in each of the first two innings gave Minnesota Crookston the early lead by a score of 2-0
- In the top of the third inning Northern State notched their first run of the game as Jack Paulson knocked an RBI double to center field and score Austin Portner to cut the deficit to 2-1
- The Golden Eagles scored one run in the bottom of the third inning before breaking the game open in the bottom of the fourth inning with nine runs, and followed it up with a 6-run fifth inning
- Northern added a pair of runs in the top of the seventh inning as Cody Horon hit an RBI double down the right field line to score Brent Hokeness; the next at bat Jonah Schmidt brought Horon home with an RBI double to center field
- Brian Baker (1-4) made his sixth start of the season and suffered the loss on the mound for the Wolves, pitching 3.2 innings and striking out two batters
- Northern State scored their three runs off seven hits and committed three errors defensively
NORTHERN STATE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
Karson Hesser: 2-for-3
Cody Horon: 1-for-1, 1 double, 1 RBI, 1 run scored
Jonah Schmidt: 1-for-1, 1 double, 1 RBI
Northern State and Minnesota Crookston will return to the UMC Baseball Field tomorrow afternoon as they conclude the series with a doubleheader. The Wolves and Golden Eagles are scheduled for 1 and 3 p.m. first pitches.