BROOKINGS, SD (DWUAthletics.com) – Dakota Wesleyan women’s basketball encountered two lead changes with four different times with a tied score as the bench chipped in with 16-points.
THE QUICK DETAILS
DWU 43 – SDSU 90
Records for DWU and SDSU were unaffected as it was an exhibition game for both teams.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Tigers got a quick start with a 5-2 lead over the Jackrabbits as Isabel Ihnen collected on the triple.
- After a minute and 45-seconds of scoreless basketball, SDSU broke the drought making back-to-back free throws, cutting the DWU lead to one point.
- Jada Campbell pushed the Dakota Wesleyan lead to 7-4 after a jump shot.
- South Dakota State gained traction, going on a 13-0 run spanning three minutes of play for the 17-7 lead over Dakota Wesleyan.
- Ihnen broke the scoring streak with a jump shot as the Tigers were still trailing 9-17 with just under four minutes in the opening quarter.
- DWU attempted to close the gap but only got within nine points of tying the game before SDSU extended the lead again.
- The Tigers could not collect on their first basket in the second half till the six-minute mark when Rynn Osthus found Morgan Edelman for the jump shot.
- After DWU made their first basket of the second quarter, South Dakota State was up 34-17.
- Dakota Wesleyan strung together multiple shots for the first time in the second quarter with 2:41 left, closing the deficit to 27-41 Jackrabbits lead.
- Going into halftime, the Tigers trailed 27-46.
- South Dakota State began closing the door on Dakota Wesleyan in the third quarter, collecting only ten points after seven minutes of play.
- Through the final minutes of the third quarter, Dakota Wesleyan went cold again as SDSU continued to extend their lead for the 71-37 advantage after three-quarters of play.
- In the fourth quarter, DWU held the Jackrabbits to only 19 points and the lowest of the game, while SDSU also held the Tigers to six points for DWU’s lowest-of-the game.
- The Tigers ultimately fell to the Jackrabbits 90-43.
- In the game, DWU shot 34.4% from the field and a season-low 8.3% beyond the arc.
- The Tigers did not get to the free-throw line once in the game.
- Dakota Wesleyan was outshot in the game, allowing SDSU to shoot 52.4% from the floor, 44.0% beyond the arc, and 54.2% at the foul line.
- DWU grabbed 30 rebounds, tallied 12 assists, and scored 28 points in the paint.
- SDSU tallied 46 rebounds, 22 assists, and notched 40 points in the paint.
- The Tigers forced ten Jackrabbit turnovers while DWU turned the ball over 17 times.
BEYOND THE RESULTS