NSIC Tourney (1st Round)
(S3) SMSU 83-66
- UMC’s Bren Fox turned in her 12th dbl-dbl of the season, but it wasn’t enough after a big 1st quarter propelled SMSU to an opening round win in the NSIC Tourney, 83-66. The Mustangs held a 31-15 lead after the opening stanza & the Golden Eagles were unable to catch the ‘stangs by the final buzzer. Fox narrowly grabbed a school-record in the loss, though, snagging her 13th rebound of the contest w/ 6sec left to take the all-time school record in rebounds at 776…one more than former teammate Isieoma Odor. SMSU hit ten more treys in the win (15-5), which has been their strength all season. SMSU will clash with the North 2-seed SCSU on Sunday at 1:30p in the Sanford Pentagon.
- SMSU – Jenna Borchers 27p (7/13-3); Peyton Blandin 14p; Sam Wall 13p; Madison Gehloff 11p
- UMC – Bren Fox 22p, 13r; Emma Miller 18p
NSIC Tourney (1st Round)
(N5) Minot State 86-85 [3OT]
- In a game that didn’t look like it wanted to ever end, Minot’s Cam’ron Dunfee drained a highly contested long-range 2-pointer at the buzzer to bump the Beavers into the next round of the NSIC Tourney & end the season of the Mustangs in gut-wrenching fashion, 86-85, in triple overtime! In last year’s tourney opener, SMSU upset Minot in the Magic City, and this time it was the Beavers beating the better seed. During the regular season, Minot State fell at home to SMSU, 65-63, as Cam Dunfee’s 3pt shot was just wide at the buzzer. This time, Dunfee took what appeared to be too much time to set up a good look, but had just enough left to turn and heave a shot over the reach of 6’10” Majok Majouk at the top of the key for the win. SMSU’s season ends w/ a mark of 16-12 overall, while Minot moves on to play NSU a 3rd time this season on Saturday at 4:30p.
- Minot – Khari Broadway 19p (played all 55’); Ben Bohl 18p; Cam’ron Dunfee 15p
- SMSU – Dunwa Omot (CH) 30p, (CH) 12r; Jake Phipps 20p, 10r
(N3) UMD 88-68
- MSU was out-shot 57-44% from the floor & outscored by 11 points at the FT line (13-2) as they were eliminated in the 1st round of the NSIC Tourney by MN-Duluth, 88-68. UMD now draws the South 2-seed UIU at 4:30p on Sunday.
- UMD – Charlie Katona 23p (8/9, 6/8FT); Drew Blair 22p; Josh Brown 14p; Jack Middleton 11p
- MSU – Malik Willingham 18p, 8r, 6TO; Kyreese Willingham 17p; Trevor Moore 16p
(S3) USF 85-59
- Not having Matt Cartwright was no issue for the Coo on Tuesday as they out-shot the Huskies 50-40% overall & hit 12/25-3 to eliminated SCSU in their 1st Round contest, 85-59. Cartwright – the league’s 2nd-leading scorer this season – was missing his 2nd-straight contest after not playing against AU last Saturday. USF held a 12-rebound lead & committed six fewer TO’s (21-15). USF moves on to face the North 2-seed MSUM on Sunday night at 7p.
- USF – Jack Thompson 35p (15/26); Conner Jackson 15p; Kenji Scales 13p
- SCSU – Andre Renta 15p; Ryan Bagley 14p; Tony Dahl 12p; Luke Taylor 10p