ABERDEEN, SD (NSUWolves.com & NorthernSun.org) –
NSIC Tourney (1st Round)
(N3) NSU 63-49
Kailee Oliverson seized control of the game in multiple big moments as Northern State defeated Upper Iowa 63-49 in the First Round of the NSIC Tournament. Oliverson led the Wolves with a career-high 34 points and 17 rebounds in the win and led the charge in the team’s decisive 18-2 scoring run to seal the victory on Wednesday afternoon in Wachs Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Northern State and Upper Iowa traded baskets on the first few possessions of the game before Kailee Oliverson powered a 15-3 scoring run for the Wolves, scoring the team’s final 12 points of the opening period to push the lead to 19-7
- The Peacocks seized momentum at the end of the first period with a 4-point play on a 3-pointer and foul with only four seconds remaining in the period; they would continue to chip away and push the scoring run to 10-0 and bring the game within two points (19-17) mid-way through the second quarter
- NSU would push the lead back to six points on a fastbreak jumper by Rianna Fillipi, however UIU kept the game within arm’s reach as Northern State took a 31-27 lead into the halftime break
- The Wolves scored six straight points to open the third quarter and push the lead back out to ten points only three minutes into the half, but Upper Iowa once again answered the run with their own by out-scoring Northern 16-6 the remainder of the period and tie the game at 43 entering the fourth quarter
- The Peacocks momentarily took a 47-45 lead minutes into the fourth quarter, before Madelyn Bragg entered the game and hit a pair of jumpers to give Northern State the lead back and swing the momentum in the game
- Oliverson once again took over the game down the stretch by scoring 12 or Northern’s final 18 points in an 18-2 scoring run to end the game
- Oliverson recorded a career-high 34 points and 17 rebounds in the win, notching her eighth double-double of the season and first career 30-point game
- With four blocked shots Laurie Rogers recorded her sixth game of the season with four or more blocks; with Oliverson adding three blocks of her own, it was the second time this season that NSU has had multiple players record three or more blocked shots in a game (Rogers & Fillipi each had four in a home win over SCSU)
- Northern State won the battle in points in the paint 32-14 and out-rebounded Upper Iowa 49-30
NORTHERN STATE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
Kailee Oliverson: 34 points, 17 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 blocks
Laurie Rogers: 10 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 blocks, 1 steal
Rianna Fillipi: 9 points, 6 rebounds, 8 assists, 2 steals
Northern State will advance to the Sanford Pentagon and the NSIC Tournament Quarterfinals to face (RV) Augustana. The Wolves and Vikings are scheduled for an 11 a.m. tip-off on Sunday morning.
(S4) CSP 62-50
- CSP – Ally Gietzel 19p, 7r; Raegan Alexander 19p
- MSUM – Mariah McKeever 21p, 6r; Terryn Johnson 10p
(N4) U-Mary – PPD to FRI at USF at 6p
The NSIC Men’s & Women’s Basketball Tournament games on Saturday at the Sanford Pentagon have been adjusted to allow more rest for the Friday night Wayne State/UMary winner. The 1:30 p.m. matchup on Saturday will now be the men’s game between Bemidji State and Wayne State (originally scheduled for 7 p.m.). In the women’s bracket, the winner of the Wayne State/UMary game will now take on Minnesota State at 7 p.m. (originally scheduled for 1:30 p.m.).
WBB – CSP vs. UMD – 11 a.m.
MBB – BSU vs. WSC – 1:30 p.m.
MBB – MINOT vs. NSU – 4:30 p.m.
WBB – WSC/UMary vs. MSU – 7 p.m.
NSIC Tourney (1st Round)
(N4) BSU 92-88
- AU shot 54.5% overall & 13/25-3 (52%), but it still wasn’t enough in a 4-point loss at Bemidji. The Beavers connected on 61% of their shots and 11/22-3. They were +4 at the FT line (19-15) & had ten more rebounds.
- BSU – John Sutherland 28p, 9r; RJ Smith 18p; Mohamed Kone 16p, 8r, 6a; Dalton Albrecht 13p; Brayden Williams 11p
- AU – Jadan Graves 27p, 7a; Ryan Miller 24p; Isaac Fink 15p