Aberdeen residence receives moderate smoke damage during fire

ABERDEEN, S.D. (Press Release) – On Tuesday, Jan. 21, at 3:14 p.m., Aberdeen Fire Rescue responded to a structure fire involving a single family home at 501 S. Congress Street. On arrival crews found a residence filled with heavy black smoke. The fire was quickly located by firefighters and contained to the furnace, but there was moderate smoke damage throughout the residence.

No occupants were home at the time of the fire. However, a dog in the residence at the time of the fire was taken by the owner to the veterinary for evaluation. There were no working smoke detectors in the home. Fire crews were on scene for about an hour and a half.

The fire is currently under investigation. Safety reminder to have working smoke detectors on all levels of your home.