Gopher Classic in Maple Grove, MN
Aberdeen Smittys 15 – WP: Jackson Welke 4IP. 5H. 3R. 1ER. 2K. Drew Salfrank 3-5 3RBI
Thunder Bay, (Ontario) 7 F/6 innings
- To start the Gopher Classic in Maple Grove, MN on Friday, the Aberdeen Smittys offense erupted for 15 runs in a 15-7 victory against Thunder Bay (Ontario) in six innings.
- On the hill, Jackson Welke picked up the win, going four innings of work and striking out a pair of batters, while only surrendering one earned run. He helped his cause at the plate, going 2-3 with a pair of RBI.
- Once again, the Smittys offense was incredibly balanced, as they got three players with three RBI, each. Drew Salfrank was 3-5 with a pair of runs scored and 3RBI. Jaden Smith was 2-3, scoring twice and with three knocked in. Plus Casey Vining was 2-3 and a run scored + 3RBI. Brendan Livermont continued his hot play, hitting a solo HR and going 1-3.
Gopher Classic, from Maple Grove, MN
Sartell, MN 6 F/7 innings.
Aberdeen Smittys 1 – LP: Cooper Eisenbeisz 6IP. 8H. 6R. 5ER. 3K. Brendan Livermont 1-3, RBI.
Aberdeen Smittys 6 – ND: Drew Salfrank 5.2IP. 7H. 4R. 3ER. 5K. (2-2, two runs scored).
Hauptan O’Brien Post 339 4
- During day two of the Gopher Classic in Maple Grove, the Aberdeen Smittys would split the day; they’d fall to Sartell (MN) 6-1 & then defeat Hauptan O’Brien 6-4.
- In the first game of the day, the Smittys offense was held quiet as they could only push one run across the plate. Brendan Livermont was 1-3 with that run knocked in. On the hill, Cooper Eisenbeisz took the loss, going six innings and surrendering eight hits, six runs, five of them were earned & he also struck out three.
- In game two, the Smittys would sneak past Hauptan O’Brian 6-4. On the hill, Drew Salfrank would pick up the no-decision; he went five and two thirds innings and surrendered three earned runs, while striking out five. Andrew Ristau-Richardson picked up the win in relief, going an inning and a third and not surrendering a hit. As a matter of fact, he’d have a two-RBI single in the bottom of the sixth inning that’d be the difference in the game. It was his lone at-bat of the game. Casey Vining & Jackson Welke each had a run batted in, in the two run victory.
Gopher Classic from Maple Grove, MN
Post 22 Hardhats (RC) 13
Aberdeen Smittys 5 – LP: Zane Backous 4.1IP. 12H. 9R. 8ER. Drew Salfrank 3-3, 3RBI.
Maple Grove Legion Post 172 10 F/6 innings.
Aberdeen Smittys 2 – LP: Jaden Smith 3IP. 4H. 3R. 3ER. 1K. Casey Vining 1-2, 2RBI.
- The Aberdeen Smittys wrapped up their time at the Gopher Classic in Maple Grove on Sunday falling in a pair of contests; in game one, they fell to the Hardhats of Post 22, 13-5 and in game two, falling to Maple Grove Post 172, 10-2 in six innings.
- Against the Hardhats, the Smittys were looking for some revenge after a tough loss against the squad earlier on in the year, but it was not to be. Zane Backous took the loss on the hill, going four and a third innings and surrendering a dozen hits and eight earned runs. Drew Salfrank was the guiding light on offense, going a perfect 3-3 and driving in three runs.
- In game two, Aberdeen would drop a six inning affair to Maple Grove Post 172, 10-2. Jaden Smith went three innings and surrendered three earned runs, he would take the loss on the hill; he did go 2-2 at the dish, with a double. Casey Vining drove in the lone two runs for the Smittys on one swing of the bat, going 1-2 for the afternoon [HR]. Aberdeen was out hit 16-6 in the contest.