Brookings woman suffers severe burns in apartment fire

BROOKINGS, S.D. (KJJQ) – A Brookings woman is taken to the hospital after suffering burns in a fire this Thursday afternoon.

The fire was reported in an apartment at 1018 Southland Lane at about 12:10 p.m.

Fire Chief Darrell Hartmann says there was a woman trapped in bed in the apartment.

The woman was taken by ambulance to the Brookings hospital.

Hartmann says the woman suffered some severe burns. The fire was quickly extinguished.

He believes the fire was caused by smoking in bed.