ABERDEEN, S.D.(Press Release)- The National Weather Service Has issued a Blizzard Warning for areas of Northeast South Dakota, including Aberdeen. Snow is expected to begin late Monday night and continuing through Wednesday evening. Total snow accumulations of 12-20” are expected as well as persistent winds with gusts of 50-60mph. This storm will make travel dangerous, and likely impossible, during the peak of the storm on Tuesday and Wednesday. In anticipation of the storm, the City of Aberdeen is making the following plans:
- A No-Travel Advisory for Brown County, including Aberdeen, is likely. During a No-Travel Advisory, everyone should stay off the roads unless travel is absolutely necessary. If the predicted snowfall accumulations occur, even the most capable 4-wheel drive vehicles will face challenges.
- If the impacts of the storm are as predicted, City Offices will be closed on Tuesday April 4th and Wednesday April 5th.
- If a No-Travel Advisory is issued, public safety personnel (Police and Fire) will face many challenges and will only be able to respond to extreme emergencies.
- Stuck vehicles that are blocking roadways may be towed and impounded.
- Once the snow has stopped falling Public Works crews will begin snow removal throughout the City. Given the forecasted amounts, completing this process will take longer than normally expected. Please be patience and keep cars off the street. More detail plowing notices will be issued as available.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Joe Gaa, City Manager