ONIDA, S.D.(DRGNews)- No one was injured early Sunday afternoon in an explosion and fire at the Ringneck Energy ethanol plant in Onida.
Onida Volunteer Fire Department Chief Caleb Shepherd told DRG Media Group that six employees were at work at the time.
Shepherd says the Sully County Sheriff’s Office has secured the scene and it will remain secured until the South Dakota Fire Marshal’s Office investigators arrive.
Shepherd says there’s major structural damage to the ethanol processing portion of the plant.
Shepherd says they had 20 firefighters and five trucks working on the scene. He says they were assisted by:
- Onida Ambulance– 2 members
- Sully County Sheriff’s Office– 2 members
- Blunt Volunteer Fire Department– 7 members, 1 truck
- Pierre Rural Volunteer Fire Department– 6 members, 2 trucks
- Pierre Volunteer Fire Department– 5 members, 1 ladder truck
- Pierre Rescue– 1 member