Gas leak reported Thursday at International Kitchen

ABERDEEN, S.D.(Press Release) – On February 8, 2024 at 5:54 am a motorist driving on 6th Ave SE reported an odor of natural gas in the area of the International Kitchen Restaurant.

Aberdeen Fire Rescue units were dispatched to the area of 6th Ave. SE and S Wilson St. and started an investigation to determine if the odor was present and a possible source or leak.

The investigation determined that the International Kitchen was the source of the natural gas odor. Fire crews gained access to the interior of the restaurant and found very high levels of natural gas. The natural gas was secured to the building at the meter and ventilation was conducted until the levels of natural gas were returned to normal.

Upon further inspection it was determined that a valve that was used to turn on a burner on the grill had been accidentally left on overnight and was the source of the gas in the building. Fire crews were on scene for approximately 2 hours.

Aberdeen Fire Rescue Responding Units – Truck 1, Rescue 2, Rescue 3, Command 1, Medic 1, Safety Officer, and Aberdeen Fire Rescue Prevention/Investigation Division, Fire Chief
Other Responding Agencies – NorthWestern Energy