PIERRE, S.D.(DRGNews)- Traffic along a few blocks of West Pleasant Drive in Pierre was disrupted for about an hour late Tuesday afternoon, after a contractor hit a gas line while doing curb and gutter work.
Pierre Volunteer Fire Department chief Ian Paul says shortly after 4pm they blocked off an area from Popular Avenue to South Yankton Avenue because of the gas leak at the intersection of West Pleasant and Oneida Avenue.
Paul says the situation was resolved fairly quickly.
A second gas line break in Pierre in less than 24 hours resulted in evacuation of the Pierre Area Chamber of Commerce and the Discovery Center for a short time late Wednesday morning.
Pierre Volunteer Fire Department chief Ian Paul says like Tuesday’s incident, the leak was caused by a contractor hitting a gas line.
Tuesday’s gas line break resulted in firefighters going to about a dozen residences to be sure they were empty while the leak was being repaired. Traffic was disrupted for about an hour.
Wednesday a 3rd gas line leak was reported in near the KCCR studios.
No one was injured and no structures were damaged in any of the locations.