Georgia Morse Middle School catches fire Wednesday

PIERRE, S.D.(DRGNews)- The Georgia Morse Middle School in Pierre was evacuated around mid-morning Wednesday after a small fire was reported in a second floor boys bathroom.

The preliminary investigation into a suspicious fire in a second-floor boys bathroom at Georgia Morse Middle in Pierre indicates the fire was intentionally set.

Pierre Police Captain Bryan Walz (wallz) says the department’s Middle School resource officer was able to put the fire out.

Walz says the Pierre Fire Department worked to eliminate the smoke from the building and assisted with the evacuation.

Georgia Morse Middle School was closed for the remainder of the day and students were released to parents, per the Pierre School District’s reunification plan. The fire happened around 10:50am CT and all students were turned over to their parents or guardians by 1pm.

The incident remains under investigation.