PIERRE, S.D. (DRG News) – People receiving checks from the South Dakota Retirement System will not see a delay in service because of the COVID-19 pandemic, but members will experience temporary changes in operations.
Executive director Travis Almond says they remain focused on long-term sustainability and the delivery of adequate benefits to members. He says the system went into this fiscal year fully funded, which is better than nearly every statewide plan in the nation.
Almond says the next analysis of the condition of the state retirement system is June 30. He says if the Stock Markets don’t recover sufficiently to reach minimum required funding thresholds, the Board will take steps to ensure benefits will remain sustainable for all of the 90,000 members as is required by state statute.
Temporary changes to SDRS office operations include:
- SDRS offices are currently closed and will remain closed until at least March 20.
- SDRS staff will be answering phone calls and responding to emails during our regular office hours of 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (CT) Monday through Friday. Members can contact SDRS staff via phone: 1-888-605-SDRS (7377) or email: email@example.com.
- SDRS is suspending walk-in customer service through March 31.
- All SDRS scheduled events through March 31 are postponed.
- SDRS staff is working remotely and SDRS operations continue as normal with the exceptions noted above.