Aberdeen, SD (NSUWolves.com) – The Northern State women’s soccer team fell to the University of Mary, 2-0 in the opening round of NSIC playoffs Monday afternoon. The Marauders capitalized off two unanswered goals in the first half.
THE QUICK DETAILS
Final Score: NSU 0, MARY 2
Records: NSU 9-4-5, MARY: 9-7-3
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The University of Mary broke the scoreless tie late in the first half with a goal at the 36-minute mark off a quick deflection from a Northern State save
- In the 40th minute of the contest, the Marauders extended their lead, 2-0 and the two teams entered the halftime locker room with UMary up
- Despite the Northern State attacks, the Wolves could not find a hole in the Marauders defense and notched just four shots-on-goal in the second half
- NSU was out-shot by MARY in the first half, 7-4, but rallied back to lead the Marauders in the second, 5-4
- The Wolves recorded four corner kicks, seven fouls, and four saves in the loss
NORTHERN STATE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS
- Hannah Smith: 4 shots, 2 shots-on-goal
- Megan Fastenau: 2 shots-on-goal
Northern was ranked eighth in the last NCAA Central Region Poll. The Wolves will await their post season fate with the NCAA Selection Show set for Monday, November 13. The final region poll will be released on Wednesday afternoon prior to the completion of the conference tournaments.