SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — South Dakota health officials reported one person has died of methanol poisoning after ingesting hand sanitizer containing methanol. State epidemiologist Josh Clayton says two other people are hospitalized with methanol poisoning.
The Food and Drug Administration is warning people not to use certain alcohol-based hand sanitizers due to the dangerous presence of methanol, or wood alcohol. It can be toxic when absorbed through the skin. It’s life-threatening when ingested.