Update on the Hupp children impacted by last week’s explosion

FORT PIERRE, S.D.(DRGNews)- The mother of two boys injured in a home explosion southeast of Fort Pierre last week says the boys are making positive progress.

On their CaringBridge page, Kelsey Hupp said 5 year old Myles has been “very alert.” She said doctors were going to switch up some medications, hopefully allowing them to take his tube out.

Kelsey says the pulmonary doctor was very happy with how both of 3 year old Royce’s lungs looked Wednesday; they are just inflamed from the impact. She said they suctioned a lot of thick mucus out, then washed his lungs with water to help loosen up “the junk in there.”

Last week’s blast killed Kelsey and Trevor Hupp’s infant daughter, Harper (6 months), and both of Trevor’s parents, Bill (66) and LaDonna (61). This was the first of two tragic accidents last week in the Fort Pierre area.

Last Saturday night, 14 year old River Ray Ludemann was in a Jeep when an accident happened in the Off Road Vehicle area just south of the Oahe Dam. He was transported by AMR ambulance to the hospital in Pierre, where he succumbed to his injuries.

River’s parents, Shane and Jessica, were visiting the Hupps in St. Paul at the time. Kelsey Hupp paid tribute to River on Myles and Royce’s CaringBridge page saying she continues “to think of my River Ray every day and I’m so glad that Harper has a big brother to forever protect her in heaven. We miss her fiercely every second and with every breath that we take.”

Visitation for River will be on Monday (June 5, 2023) from 1-3pm CT at the Stanley County Fairgrounds in Fort Pierre. The funeral service will begin at 3pm. On a GoFundMe account set up for the family, River’s mom Jessica said “please don’t wear sad clothing. He loved clothes so wear your hats. Do not take them off.”

Financial donations for the Hupp family can be deposited at any First Dakota National Bank location. There’s also a Hupp Family Support Hub page on Facebook and a GoFundMe page. The cause of the explosion is under investigation, but foul play is not suspected.